9.1.09

Cutting the school year 5 days short?!!?

What is up with this idea to cut the school year 5 days short? This is outrageous. I know, 'let's just let them out early, who cares, it's only the end of the year, they aren't doing anything then anyway.' What a better way to send the message, 'school really isn't that important to us in California, but please move here because it is so desirable.'

I am curious how this will play out. Cutting the school year will save a great amount of money. I was surprised how much it will save, $1.1 billion. If we are sure there will be cuts to schools, if the government really is about to run out of money, then cuts have to come some way. I get the impression that it is going to happen, but I doubt we will be posting it on any ads for our state. You have a good point.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read comments on the OCRegister page here

Anonymous said...

I just came from the Register's comments page to read here. Who will answer me? Why does cutting this many days, only 5, save so much?

Unknown said...

Many readers are writing with this same question. I addressed it in my column that will run next week. Quickly, it comes from cutting all California teachers, staff and some administrator pay for 5 days.

Anonymous said...

If schools and teachers are serious about quality education, do we really feel that taking 5 days off is seriously cheating our childrens education? If payroll and the cost to keep the campuses open is $1.1 billion I'm in favor of letting the kids out 5 days early. My kids are enriched during the summer months just the same as during the school year, its just in a different way. I think parents will not want this because we have so many 2 income family that have nothing to do with their kids, which is an extremely sad state. I would vote for less school days over larger class size anyday.

Post your comments and questions

After you read any post, click on the word "comments" at the bottom. You can leave your name or post anonymously. Click on the triangle next to the month to view past columns.

You can also email me directly to goasktheteacher@yahoo.com

Email Ask the Teacher your education questions or comments

  • goasktheteacher@yahoo.com

StatCounter